Sunday, October 7, 2007

One hour late makes no difference

At school right now I am learning German, Spanish (four times a week) and Catalan. Catalan is the language that people generally speak in this area, that is, Barcelona and all of Catalunya. Catalunya is a region of Spain. Catalan is related to Spanish and French and Italian. I learn mostly Spanish, though, because all the kids speak it when we are out at recess. Other classes I have are English every day, PE twice a week, Science four times a week, Math every day, Art, Social Education twice a week, Computers, Religion and Music. We also have Assembly once a week. I have soccer (here they call it football in English and Futbol in Spanish) twice a week at school after school.

As I said earlier, I was really spooked out when I came to this school. But I made many friends quickly, they are really, really nice and they helped me out at the beginning. This week I went to a double birthday party, for two people. One is called Gian and the other is called Alejandro. And, for some reason, all of a sudden, at the end of the birthday party, a lot of my friends asked me for playdates. That was a really cool birthday. When we arrived everybody was jumping on really big trampolines, where I did front flips and back flips on. Then, after about half an hour, we went inside, and we had a snack of various kinds of chips, pop corn, coke and fanta, and very small sandwiches (bocadillas). Then we gave out the presents, and then we played some karaoke where we sang songs with microphones and boomboxes. Then we played videogames on PS2. I was with my friend Hugo and we played Formula 5 racing and NBA 2004 basketball. At the very end we went back to the trampolines right before being picked up. It was a great birthday!!

I did not tell you that we got lost on to the way to the birthday party and wasted about an hour, so if something had happened before the trampoline I cannot tell you. We were so late, in fact, that after a while we had to stop at a gas station to get something to eat because I had not had any lunch and I was getting a bit hungry. We made it almost all the way to the building, but then we could not find exactly the right building although we did pass it at least thrice:-) I mean three times... We went up the same streets about a hundred times, and we asked a thousand people for directions, and they kept sending us left and right - they all told us different directions. The only person who told us the right direction in the end was a gas station attendant.

The other good news is that I have also become friends with a boy who lives in the same building as us, and who goes to the same school too, just he is in the other class 4 (there are two class 4s in my school).

2 comments:

Amy said...

That sounds like a really fun birthday party. It's funny you guys were doing karaoke. I bet you sing beautifully, like a song bird! Cami the Song Bird, they'd call you!

Does knowing French make it easier to learn Catalan? That's cool that you're learning Spanish because the other kids speak it. I've always heard that the best way to learn a language is to just be around other people speaking it, but I've never had a chance to learn that way.

In other news, I almost walked into a deer today. I just thought you should know that.

Cams said...

It was a very fun birthday party. On the other hand I didn't sing like a song bird because I didn't sing at all. For me knowing french does not help me learn Catalan. "Also it makes perfect sense to me how you might run into a deer being as they are so hard to see".