Saturday, September 29, 2007

The falling tower of the Barcelonians

Last weekend there was a festival called "La Merced" in Barcelona. It's the biggest festival of the year, and it lasted several days. One of the things at the festival that was very fun was the human towers. They are called "Castells", that is, castles. On one of the castles that we saw, when they went to eight stories of people, the whole thing fell over. Nobody got hurt, but four of the people at the top fell into the crowd.

I did not take pictures of the Castells, but here are some pictures we found on the net:
http://www.onexposure.net/?photos=member&memberid=150&photo=5719
http://cellar.org/2002/humantower.jpg
There is a site called Castellers de Barcelona that you can go to to find out a lot more about them: http://www.castellersdebarcelona.org/eng/.
And here are some pictures of the castells we saw and of the whole festival this year:


We wanted to go to a lot of other places at the festival, but for nearly every one the sheet that we had said the wrong place so we missed almost everything... My dad, Kaelan (who is my brother) and I, we also went to Plaza Catalonia to see the end of the festival (I also had to practice German with my dad at the same time). It was a big dance on Plaza Catalonia. Kaelan really loved it.

This week has been pretty normal, that is I went to school. But one thing that happened is that I got "sick" eating too much of my favorite tapas, which are tiny whole fried squids, called chipirones, or xipirons in catalan. At school I am starting soccer Mondays and Wednesdays starting next week. Now I am better at Spanish: I understand about half the things people say and I can speak a little bit of Spanish. I also know a variety of German words but they are such a variety that I can't make a sentence with them.

No comments: