Saturday, November 10, 2007

The Devil for a Guard


After leaving Cordoba we drove to Medina Azahara, which is the old palace of the calife, that is the old Moorish king. I thought the palace was really cool, but what was even more fun was that the palace was like a maze and I lost my dad in it. The only two times that I did bad things the guard happened to be watching me, and he yelled at me twice. He almost kicked us out. What's wrong with running and not having parents with you every second, really? You'd think he likes getting kids in trouble!!! Then I needed to go to the bathroom again, but there was an enormous line ahead of us of older people jeering and telling each other to go into the same bathroom with another person of different sex. It was absolutely disgusting. And, I was desperate.

Then we left, and kept on driving until we found a room in Osuna. We walked around town and saw a pretty plaza. For dinner the hotel that we went to had a restaurant, but we did not want to eat there. My dad asked at the hotel for directions to the area of another restaurant, the lady asked why, so my dad said we were visiting a friend, then she asked for his name, and my dad said Fernando Rodriguez Marquez. Of course that was all made up because we don't have any friends named Fernando Rodriguez Marquez. It was not actually very useful though, because when we walked over to the other restaurant it was closed. So we went back to the hotel and ate dinner there. The dinner was actually super good. In the morning we also had a really good breakfast there.

The next morning we went to Ronda. When we got to Ronda, we walked around for a bit and had lunch at a parador (don't ask me what that means) that had a really good view of the cliffs, which Lindsay and I call the Cliffs of Insanity II because we already saw the Cliffs of Insanity I in Arcos. Ronda is built at the top of a ludicrously high cliff. Because of the cliffs, there are two parts two the city, and a very big bridge connecting them. And there is at least a thousand foot drop in the middle. At the bottom we could see a really old water mill. There was also a dried up lake. Then we walked around for a really long time, planning to go to a museum, but when we got there it was closed. On the way back we stopped to two ice cream places. I did not get anything at the first place, and at the second place I got some banana ice cream with nuts on it that I was just trying out for the sake of it, and that I thought was really horrible.

After that, we decided to spend the rest of the day into the white pueblos. I wanted to get out and do something so we stopped at some rocks. Behind them, in the middle of nowhere, we found a really old Roman road, and we also found big slabs of granite and marble. We could not find any place to stay for the night so we drove all the way to Arcos de la Frontera and stayed there, so my mom could see the town since she was not with us the first time around.

No comments: