Monday, November 12, 2007

I Love Mazes (that's a fact)


In the morning we woke up in Arcos de la Frontera. My parents went off on a little walk so my dad could show the city to my mom. Then we went straight to Sevilla, so as to see the Alcazar which was going to be closed the next day. The Alcazar is a humongous palace. We just parked our car and walked straight there because we did not have much time to visit it. We walked through the mudejar rooms that are like Moorish rooms but a bit different because they were built by Moorish people for the Spanish kings. We did not go to the other parts of the palaces.

Instead we went into the gardens. The gardens were awesome!!! They were humongous. It took me about five minutes to get lost in them! There was even a really really cool that was squashed but long and big. I played hide and seek with my mom The first time she found me. The second time I found her. But the third time she did not find me and she had to give up. By then it had been a really long time, so we had to come back and look for everybody else. We found them by the gift shop right at the exit. Then the Alcazar was closing so we had to leave. But I could have spent my whole life in that maze!

We had a late lunch in a super good restaurant near the cathedral, and also got some really good desserts. Then we got our luggage from the car and went to the hotel. My mom had to go on a business trip so my dad took her to the airport and came back. We stayed in the hotel for a while. In the evening, we took a taxi to a tapas bar to have a quick meal, then walked straight to a flamenco dancing place that we heard was really good. It was OK, but I got really bored half way through. Then we returned to the hotel and went to bed.

The next morning we walked around the barrio Santa Cruz, which is an old Jewish neighborhood. We stopped at a bar to go to the bathroom and get something to drink. Then we went to the cathedral. On the way I climbed up street poles, and I timed myself: my best time was 6 seconds. You don't need to know that but I felt like saying it:-) The line for the cathedral was really long, so we left and came back, and finally visited it. I personally thought it was quite boring but my dad thought it was cool. One thing that I thought was really cool was that we got to go all the way up the Giralda, which is a super tall tower from which you can see the whole city. Unfortunately, we had to go up 37 steep ramps to get there.

Then we walked to a very small palace, called Palacio de Pilatos, that is also a mudejar palace. Right as we went in, it had a very big area with nothing in it. On the right, there was a large patio with a fountain in the middle, and columns on all sides with rooms going off of them. There was one other patio that had a bunch of really nice sculptures. Most mudejar walls have azulejos on them, which are little colored tiles. And this palace had lots of them. Most of the rooms off the main patio led to gardens that I did not really like. One thing that was in the bathroom was a sculpture of the bust of Julius Cesar. I don't know why the heck it was in the bathroom, but it just was...

We went back to the hotel, got our bags, and had to get really quickly to the bus. We made it to the bus just in time, then went to the airport, and flew back home to Barcelona.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.