Thursday, November 8, 2007

Pastry Nuns


Finally we were in Grenada. My dad woke up early to pick up my mom from the airport. Then when they came back we had a super good breakfast at the hotel. Then we walked around the Albaicin, that is the only Moorish quarter in Europe, which was right around our hotel. In the Moorish district, there were all kinds of very old doors and houses. You can recognize Moorish doors because most of them are in the shape of a keyhole. The streets were all very small, and all the house houses were white, or red in brick. And every single Moorish house has an inside Moorish patio. We went into a little square that had a market. Then we went into some little side streets, where we found the best clementines in the world. We finally found a very high plaza that had a very good view of almost the whole city and of the palace of the sultan on the other side, the Alhambra. Then we had lunch at an incredibly restaurant that had Moorish recipes, right below the plaza, that also had a really good view.

Then we went to the Alhambra. First we went to a huge garden that was really cool, called the Generalife, that had a bunch of hedges. Also my dad kept taking pictures of a tree, and my Mom kept asking why, so my dad told her that this was where the sultana met somebody she liked, but then the sultan found out and cut off all the heads of all the men in that family. Kind of disgusting, I know.

Then we got into a palace, called the Nasrid Palace, that was really pretty and that had Moorish writing all over the walls. Unfortunately, in the line for the palace, I had to go to the bathroom. We asked the guard where the bathrooms where, but he said there were none. I had to go so badly I almost decided to pee in my brother's diaper. Finally my "heroic" mom agreed to leave the palace with me to find a bathroom, which meant she could not see more of the palace. Then we found out at the end that there was a bathroom hidden right next to the line that I could have gone to at the very beginning.

After that we went to the Alcazaba, that is, part of the fortress. My dad and I went running everywhere in there. My dad made it look like he was hanging me off the walls even though he was not really and Lindsay took a picture of me like that.

When we were done with the Alhambra we walked back down to the Albaicin on the main street and went to a pharmacy because my ear had been hurting since the plane and we could not figure out what it was. They told us that it was probably just pressure from the plane and gave us some ear drops that were useless and some other syrup. After dinner we got some super good gelato ice cream at the Plaza Nueva.

The next day, we walked more around the Albaicin. We spent an hour looking for shoes for my Mom. We went to an old Moorish bath, which was not very interesting in my opinion. My brother had a tantrum and could not come with us to get some pastries, so we went to a place where my dad said nuns made very good pastries for the community. They had secret recipes like Willy Wonka in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It was a convent of nuns. Because the nuns did not like anybody seeing into their convent, they had two wooden doors in the wall where they would put the pastries through the first one, then they would shut it, then they would yell that it was ready, and then we would open the second and take the pastries out without us seeing the nuns. We went home and tried them: they were super super good, and they were all gone in a few days.

After that we took our luggage, went to a little bar for a snack, and left for Cordoba.

No comments: