Monday, December 31, 2007

This Tastes Salty!


When we woke up we packed right away and went straight to the spa alongside the Dead Sea, where we had more sulphur baths. These ones stung like a hornet wherever you had the tiniest cut or rash. Then we went to a mud pit, where there was a bunch of mud that you could put all over yourself. There were these huge pits where you could sit and slap mud over you, or you could stand in the pits or you could take mud out of the pits and put it on you. You could even have a mud fight. The mud was really dark brown and pretty cold, but there was really nothing in it,and it was really gooey. It would have felt really good on a hot day, although today was not a hot day. Then we walked to the water of the Dead Sea, where, for about ten yards from the sea, there was only salt on the ground. We even saw a sign that seemed to have fallen into the sea at some point, but now it looked more like a sign-shaped salt lick! And you physically could not swim in the water, you could only float and paddle in it, it is impossible to actually swim! And you can't get completely under.

Then we left and went up a wadi, which is a canyon with a river that can be sometimes completely dry. We saw more rock rabbits, and on the way out we saw some ibexes. I would absolutely have loved to swim in some of the wadi's pools, but unfortunately my bathing suit was still in the car and we had no time to go and get it...

Afterwards, we went to a store that was kind of hidden within kibbutz Ein Gedi, and bought food to eat in the car ride for lunch. Then we drove all the way to Jerusalem, where we had a hotel that I absolutely loved. For dinner we went to an Arab restaurant. Because it was the New year, the people at the restaurant could not wait for us to leave so that other people could come in that were celebrating the new year.

2 comments:

Amy said...

The Dead Sea was SO MUCH FUN! That was easily another of my favorite parts of the trip. I didn't go to the mud baths, but I liked the sulphur bath and of course hanging out in the Dead Sea with you, Aaron, and Josh was a ton of fun.

The wadi was also really gorgeous. But are you sure we went to the wadi after the Dead Sea? I thought we went there first, and that's why I got to the Dead Sea later than you. Either way, that was a fun day.

P.S. We never got our fish and chips, did we?

Cams said...

Hi Amy- oh, yeah, you're right, we did go to the wadi first. Well, too late to change it now. I can always say it's my dad's fault, he is the one who told me it was afterwards. My big mistake was agreeing with him...

It's too bad you missed the mud baths, even I didn't have the nerve to put it all over me though, but I put it all over my legs and shoulders and face. My dad was COMPLETELY covered. But, since he was the one taking the pictures, we unfortunately don't have a proof.

You are right about the fish and chips. It must have been one of the dads' fault - it's always one of them...

Love, Cami