Saturday, December 29, 2007

Swimsuit String


We woke up in kibbutz Bet Alfa and went to a place called Hamat Gader, which has huge sulphur baths and a crocodile farm. At Hamat Gader we found out that my swim suit was way too big for me, and, if I did not put a rope around it, it would just fall. Susan, my friend Josh's mom, gave me a piece of string to tie around my waist to hold it up. I did not really like the baths that much, because I did not like the sulphur at all, and we couldn't go under water because of the sulphur. And, it was too hot for me. So, after a while, I got out. Then my mom bought me a different swim suit and I went back him for a little bit. A really cool thing they have was that, underneath the sulphur baths, they were other, way smaller sulphur bath, where you would sit down,and all the water from the top would come down in waterfalls over the seats, so you could sit in a waterfall of hot water. But I still got out before everybody else.

After that we went to the crocodile farm, which was awesome because there were all sorts of crocodiles and alligators there. The coolest type, I thought, were the gavials which are alligators that have snouts that are as skinny as the handle of a hammer. Then we went to a lunch which, I must say, was one of the best lunches that trip. It was pizza and gelato.

Then we went to a really awesome place called Beit Shean, which is the ruins of an old Roman settlement. But it's still really cool. Right when you get in Beit Shean there is a huge street, that probably used to be the main street when it was actually inhabited. Right next to it, on both sides, it had a bunch of columns. On the sides of the columns was where everything was. On the right side was an area which is kind of like a maze, and as I said earlier I like mazes. Closer to the entrance was the amphitheater. On the left side of the columns were a bunch of big bath houses. On the very very end of the street was a big tall hill which is a tell, and which is part of Beit Shean. On the right of the tell is a really big bridge, that I had not noticed from the tell, but that I saw on the town replica. And to the right of the place that was like a maze was something that looked a lot like a graveyard, but I am not sure what it was. At the beginning we went to the amphitheater. Then we went into the area that looks like a maze and it was really fun. Then we went up the tell. But Josh and I went down way early and played by the amphitheater. Earlier we had seen a bunch of kids that were climbing over a fence that you were not supposed to go over to get to this one place where Josh and I found a hidden spiral staircase that went right by the other side of the fence, so you could go there without having to climb the fence. It also went to the very very top of the amphitheater, and to one other place that was in the middle of a few bushes.

Then we went back to Bet Alfa, and had dinner at another kibbutz next door. After dinner, Josh and I made pictures, but then Josh started helping me with mine which was a war between a supervillain that I made up called King Squiggle and a superhero that I made up called King Straightline. I thought you should know that.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Plus, that was the day you decided onions weren't the devil's food, wasn't it? Aaron was so proud!

Beit Shean was definitely one of my favorite parts of the trip. It was such a magnificent place.

You know, I remember hearing about King Squiggle and King Straightline, but I don't think I ever saw them. But I'm sure their war was epic.

Cams said...

Hi Amy! I have to correct you: that was the day I decided that onions that were fried to a crisp weren't the devil's food!

To me Beit Shean was also one of the best places in the trip. And I think the staircase that we found was also totally awesome! Not as awesome, though, as the incredibly epic war of the two King Squiggle and King Straightline...

Love, Cami